Seattle Atheists, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to promoting understanding and respect toward freethinkers, is excited to announce its first t-shirt design contest! Residents of Washington and Oregon are welcome to participate. The winning design will be announced on February 13, 2011.
GENERAL DESIGN GUIDELINES
We are looking for designs that capture our theme for 2011: “Atheists coming out.” We know this is challenging, so here are some things to consider:
Our mission is to make atheism a viable alternative in the Puget Sound. So, you could reflect on the positive aspects of atheism, and focus on ideas if inclusion, community, freedom, knowledge, evolution, science, etc.
You could also focus on specific aspects of atheism in the Puget Sound (but remember, the Space Needle is a trademarked building, so must be used in the context of a cityscape, and not alone).
Our vision is:
- A Puget Sound that accepts atheism as a viable alternative in all areas of public and private life.
Our mission is to:
- Grow, support, and provide community for atheists in the Puget Sound.
- Educate the public about atheism and present it as positive and legitimate.
- Provide information and encourage education in science and critical thought.
- Encourage the public to look for credible evidence rather than superstition, dogma, and the supernatural.
- Support the Constitution of the United States, defend the wall of separation between church and state, and inform the public about policy that infringes on that separation.
We strongly encourage you to use all the humor and creativity you can muster. Rock our world. Be funny. Be clever. Be creative. Most of all, have fun!
DEADLINE: Designs must be submitted by 12:00 AM PST, January 31, 2011
Some of the previous designs:
HOW IT WORKS
- Create your T-shirt design.
- Submit your design to the Flickr design pool for review.*
- An internal panel of Seattle Atheists committee members will conduct the first round of judging to select the top five designs.
- These designs will be posted on SeattleAtheists.org for public voting — you tell us who wins!
- The winning design will be featured in the Seattle Atheists fair booths throughout 2011 as an exclusive item!
*Flickr is a photo sharing website. Tagging allows you to group similar photos for viewing, Groups are created to form communities of shared interest and goals. Creating an account is free. For more information please visit: www.Flickr.com and make sure to check out the Flickr FAQ if you have more questions.
There will be one first place winner, who will receive intergalactic acclaim for their design of the official Seattle Atheists 2011 T-shirt, two T-shirts with the winning design, and a $50 gift certificate. Four runners-up will receive a free Seattle Atheists T-shirt with the winning design.
- Your design must be created in a Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) program, such as Adobe Illustrator. If your design is selected, you will be asked to submit your print-ready design file via e-mail to qualify for the second round.
- You can submit more than one design, but only one of your designs may qualify for the second round.
- Your design will be printed on the front of the t-shirt only and must fit within a 10″ x 10″ area. It should not cover the sleeves or any seams.
- Be sure to include the color of the shirt in your design (please, no white shirts!)
- Save your file as a JPG or PNG image format and upload it into your Flickr account.
- Join the Seattle Atheists T-Shirt Design Contest Flickr group and add your image to the pool.
- Tag your photo with the phrase “Seattle Atheists t-shirt contest”. This will allow us to search for and pull your photo into a public image
- Make sure your Flickr account has a valid e-mail address, or we won’t be able to contact you! You will have 5 days from the date of first-round selection notification to get back to us so that we can get you moved onto the next round.
Designs will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Concept and originality
- Effective communication of the theme (“Atheists coming out”)
- Completeness of design (must be ready to send to the printers)
- Must be visible and eye-catching from a distance.
- Must not contain more than three colors, and cannot contain gradients.
- The top five designers will be contacted through Flickr to submit their high-resolution design files via e-mail.
- The top five designs will be posted on SeattleAtheists.org for public voting.
- The winner and runners-up will be notified by e-mail
- Since this is a fundraiser for Seattle Atheists, the winning artist design will become the exclusive property of Seattle Atheists, and 100% of the proceeds of the sales of the t-shirts will go to Seattle Atheists.
- You can collaborate with a design group, but one person must represent the group in the contest and only one person may submit the design to the Flickr photo pool.
- You may submit more than one design, but only one design per person or group may advance to the second round of judging.
- Designs which attack religion; contain copyrighted material or images, trademarks, or intellectual property; contain explicitly profane or obscene material; endorsement or encouragement of illegal drug use, alcohol abuse or other illegal activity; contain nudity, profanity, violence; any derogatory characterization of any person or group based on religion, political affiliation, or other ethical or unlawful factors will be rejected.
- Anyone in Washington or Oregon, including college students who attend college in Washington or Oregon. The contest is only open to entrants over the age of 18 in the Pacific Northwest.
Q: Can I make a new Seattle Atheists logo?
Q: Can I include logos from other organizations/companies/entities/people in my design?
A: No (see General Rules).
Q: How are winners notified? How can I claim my prize?
A: First-round winners will be notified via Flickr mail. You have 5 days from the date of notification to respond with the print-ready SVG design file in order to qualify for round two. The second-round winner and the four runners-up will be notified via email with instructions on how to claim their prize.
Q: Will I get credit for my design?
A: Yes! Your name will be displayed with the t-shirts at the street fairs throughout 2011, and on our website! Of course, if you want to stay sooper-seekrit, we can do that too, and give you your kudos in seekrit.